Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cakes And Ale


'Tis the season to be jolly.' 'Joy to the world.'
Joy. This is the message of Christmas isn't it? Merriment and good cheer, mirth, festivity and such. And yet to live joyfully, in joy and with enjoyment of life (joie de vivre) the rest of the year is a radical idea. It might even be considered an act of subversion to suggest that one might live one's life actually enjoying it. Delighting in it. Being glad. Living life with gusto.
I realize that I approach my life in a very serious way; in fact I would even venture to say that I approach life 'on the defensive.'
My thoughts centre around 'how can I avoid intrusion?' How can I get my time, time for me, before someone disturbs me? I think in terms of 'getting things done' and this robs me of joyfulness.
Recently, I've been trying to change this kind of thinking. I am trying to remind myself to live as if everyday could be my last- so that I appreciate my life. I've been thinking about giving joy about gladdening? Do I bring joy?
When we put the self first we end up suffering. What a twist of irony that is.

Dost thou think that because thou art virtuous there shall be more no cakes and ale? Twelfth Night

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...