Sunday, March 21, 2010

Trained to them.


Remember when you tried to toilet train your kid?

You soon learned that they were training you-not the other way around. That's if you were respecting the organic evolution of things. It was on their schedule not yours.

Years later, it doesn't change.

But I'll admit it. I'm a slow learner. I've tried and sometimes still try to get my kids to do what I want them to do.

Even when I do this, I know it's wrong. It's the old saying again:"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

The more I parent, the more i am forced into seeing that my kids, (like me) resent being told what to do.

Bossing around my kids, trying to make them do math, or do chores just creates disaster.

I'm trusting that like with toilet training, they'll eventually come around to my good sense (tongue in cheek) but in the mean time, I'm left with my thoughts: how can people in a family (actually in the world) live together peacefully when we're all at different levels of maturity?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...