Okay,okay. So you can tell I'm a huge fan of John Taylor Gatto. Here's a neat excerpt from an article he wrote for Yes!about what, in his opinion makes a really educated person.
Really educated people ...
- Establish an individual set of values but recognize those of the surrounding community and of the various cultures of the world.
- Explore their own ancestry, culture, and place.
- Are comfortable being alone, yet understand dynamics between people and form healthy relationships.
- Accept mortality, knowing that every choice affects the generations to come.
- Create new things and find new experiences.
- Think for themselves; observe, analyze, and discover truth without relying on the opinions of others.
- Favor love, curiosity, reverence, and empathy rather than material wealth.
- Choose a vocation that contributes to the common good.
- Enjoy a variety of new places and experiences but identify and cherish a place to call home.
- Express their own voice with confidence.
- Add value to every encounter and every group of which they are a part.
- Always ask: “Who am I? Where are my limits? What are my possibilities?”