Tuesday, January 12, 2016

More Time is More Freedom

Here is an excerpt from Brenna McBroom's chapter in Natural Born Learners: Unschooling and Autonomy in Education.

Brenna McBroom is a long-time unschooler from Asheville, North Carolina. She currently works as a potter making functional and decorative crystalline glazed ceramics.

I love the world I live in. Were I to change it, I think I would alter attitudes and beliefs rather than attempting to change governments or institutions, because, in the end, it is the things we believe and the values we hold highest that shape our world. I would change the belief that qualification and ability are inextricably linked.

For example, in the eyes of many, the twenty-four-year old Master of Fine Arts graduate possesses more ability to instruct ceramics students than the self-taught ceramicist who has been operating a functional studio for thirty years, merely because of qualifications. I’m not saying that qualification and ability never come hand-in-hand—merely that they don’t have to.

For those who are not sure if school, or higher education, is the right place at this time, I would say: trust yourself! If you have a nagging feeling that institutionalized schooling isn’t right for you at this point in your life, listen to it. College can be a great tool to get you where you want to go, but it’s just that: a tool. It’s important to keep it in its proper perspective, as a means to an end, rather than an end in itself.

If you’re struggling with the college question, a good litmus test is to ask yourself the following questions: I’m planning to go to college to what end? What am I trying to achieve? If your answer is something like, “Because I want to be a veterinarian,” or “Because it’s an efficient way for me to learn everything that I want to know about classical philosophy,” then you’re probably on the right track. If, on the other hand, your answers are something like, “Because otherwise I’ll end up working in a fast food joint,” or “Because I don’t know what I want to do with my life,” then I would suggest you do a bit more soul searching.

I learned, through personal experience, that there are much better places to find yourself than college: write a book, save the rainforest, teach English as a second language, revitalize your community, build a house, or live somewhere you don’t speak the language.

Furthermore, never believe those who tell you that not going to college resigns you to a lifetime of flipping burgers. Those who perpetuate this myth are usually none other than the school faculty and administrators, who are completely dependent upon your continued support of higher education for their continued employment. The vast majority of people I know who have chosen to forgo college are doing amazing things like writing grants, traveling the world, working on farms, or doing web design.

Finally, keep in mind that not going to college now is not the same as not going to college. I believe many people would benefit a great deal from taking a few years to experience, and experiment with, various occupations and lifestyles before they make the decision to attend (or not attend) a university.
Want more? Buy the book.

8 comments:

Purva Brown - The Classical Unschooler said...

YES to the statement that in the eyes of many someone who has no idea how to do something but has a degree in something similar is considered more competent to teach than one who is self-taught. So true. And so crazy!

Madonaldo said...

Don’t think of anything else just contact Dr Abalaka and purchase some of his herbal medication and your depression will go away. This was my state of mind when my doctor told me that i will not be able to conceive due to the Fibroid that was rolling in my family life and when i decide to reach out to the priest, and the Priest told me what to do in other to get the medication. Eventually I receive all the Herbal medications that cure my Fibroid and give me the chance to become a proud mother: Dr Abalaka is a great spiritualist, He did it for me, you can contact Dr on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com). If you are suffering from the following gynecology disease::
1. Fibroid
2. High Blood Pressure (herbs to reduce your BP within 7days)
3. Infection, regular body pains
4. Blockage from the fallopian Tube
5. Cyst from the ovaries
6. Unpleasant smell from the virginal
7. Irregular menstruation
8. Weakness of the penis (not able to have sex with your partner or inability to satisfy your partner sexually)
9. Watering sperm (low sperm count) not able to get woman pregnant.
10.Infertility for easy Conception.......
11.Skin diseases, Toilet infection and bad body odor…….Etc..
12.get your ex back
13.Happiness in relationship
14.Command respect in the society
14.Enlarge your Penis/breast with no side effect
15.Breast Cancer
16.impotente solution
17.Obesity solution
18.Romantism solutions
19.Cancer of the blood
Those are what he does, You can simply contact the spiritualist Dr Abalaka on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your disease and put yourself on a motherhood side of life..

vicky taneja said...

The Point you have mentioned here is valid but try to keep it short.
If you write long articles your site might not read the full article and this how your bounce rate might affects.
Anyways the article is Awesome - Common Updates by Driver Tonic

Harry said...

Agreed time is everything that apply directly or indirectly on our life awesome post Very use full post here >> Explore jobs at Rotana

NoveltyDMVExperts said...


I have read Your Article and Learn a lot from it. I can Imagine the time it took to get all this expertise exposed . You can also look here to see where to easily get a FAKE BANK STATEMENT FOR LOAN

Daniel Paul said...

United State Commission of Higher Education is a standardization agency intended to work towards providing best quality education among the academic institutes worldwide.

Anonymous said...

Mr Pedro went above and beyond their requirements to assist me with my loan which I used to expand my pharmacy business,They were friendly, professional, and absolute gems to work with.I will recommend anyone looking for loan to contact. pedroloanss@gmail.com.WhatsApp ..+ 1-863-231-0632.

Jay Koli said...


This information is very helpful. Thank You for sharing such valuable information with us.
Schools Near Sector 57

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...