Sunday, December 09, 2007

Enough Already!

I'm skating at the local rink and I'm talking to a woman who I haven't seen in years.
"Homeschooling huh? Well my son would have benefited from that. What i really would have liked him to attend though is private school."

And then, "kids need to learn how to socialize." Oh God. Here we go again. I draw her attention to 3 other families (all friends of ours) skating along side of us. "Yeah but they have to learn how to grapple with other kids. Ya know?"
No. I don't know. They need to learn how to 'grapple' with all kinds of people. They need to learn how to get along with people of all ages. Period.

When will these well meaning folk learn that it doesn't have to happen in the context of school? To live well in society with others, kids need opportunities to be in the WORLD more, not less
(that is, stuck in school).
At school you learn facts and figures (and frankly you can learn these anywhere) but school doesn't MAKE a person.
I've said it before and I'm saying it again; school is not a good place for kids. School is a contrived situation. Get it finally. School is a fake. It is not real.
BEE

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...